Date & Time:
The Understanding Extremism Training will explore and discuss issues relating to the ideology of Global Jihadism and the Far Right. The Training will equip delegates with an ideological understanding that underpins different extremist groups. In addition to this delegates will be given the opportunity to be involved in interactive discussions in understanding the drivers and influences that lead to radicalisation. The course has been tailored specifically for Sandwell and this will be illustrated in the examples that will be presented. The importance of the Prevent Strategy and the subsequent Prevent referral pathway that will support local partners in confidence in signposting vulnerable individuals who they feel are a concern will be discussed. Delegates will be provided with a counter narrative and this will build on their knowledge base.
Practitioners, faith based community leaders, education establishments, partners
· To respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat from those who promote it
· To enhance the knowledge of front line practitioners in understanding both Daesh/Al Qaida inspired and Far Right Extremism
· To counteract the concepts and activity of extremism and radicalisation in Sandwell
· To support safeguarding and further embed the referral process for concerns
· To support practitioners who work and interact with young people and communities in Sandwell who may be vulnerable to extremist ideology
· To promote good relations and cohesion between all communities
· To provide a mechanism for practitioners to be able to sign post young people and communities to appropriate services for support relevant and proportionate to need.
· Challenging extremist ideology including extremist and terrorist narratives by supporting local partners, faith based community leaders that can provide a counter narrative, and counteract the concepts and activity of extremism and radicalisation in Sandwell.