Date & Time:
The Understanding Extremism Training will explore and discuss issues relating to the ideology of Global Jihadism and the Far Right. The Training will equip delegates with an understanding that underpins different extremist groups and their set of ideas (ideologies). In addition to this, delegates will be given the opportunity to be involved in interactive discussions in understanding the drivers and influences that lead to radicalisation. The course has been tailored specifically for Sandwell and this will be illustrated in the examples that will be presented. The importance of the Prevent Strategy and the subsequent Prevent referral pathway will be explained which will support participants in signposting vulnerable individuals who they feel are a concern. Delegates will be provided with counter narratives, which oppose extreme narratives, that will help build on their knowledge base of extremism/terrorism.
- Sandwell based - practitioners, faith-based community leaders, education establishments, all partners, all SMBC & Sandwell Children’s Trust staff…
- To respond to the ideological challenge of terrorism and the threat from those who promote it
- To enhance the knowledge of practitioners in understanding both Daesh/Al Qaida inspired and Far Right Extremism
- To counteract the concepts and activity of extremism and radicalisation in Sandwell
- Understanding of how extremist ideas are challenged, including extremist and terrorist narratives. This could help support local partners and faith-based community leaders to provide a counter narrative and counteract the concepts and activity of extremism and radicalisation in Sandwell.
- To support safeguarding and further embed the referral process for concerns
- To support practitioners who work and interact with young people and communities in Sandwell who may be vulnerable to extremist ideology
- To promote good relations and cohesion between all communities
- To provide a mechanism for practitioners to be able to sign post young people and communities to appropriate services for support relevant and proportionate to the need.
The online session will be delivered on Microsoft Teams and split into two sections:
9:30am - 12.30pm : Trainer Sarfraz Khan will deliver on 'Islamist' Extremism (including 10 minute break)
12.30pm - 1.30pm: Lunch break
1.30pm – 4.00pm: Trainer Dave Allport will deliver on Far Right Extremism (including 10 minute break)
Please note, if you don’t show for the training after confirming your interest/accepting the invite and fail to give us 3 days’ notice, your organisation will be charged £30.